Teacher Time Saver: Slow Cooker Mexican Style Pork

I will admit something here on my blog that I am very proud to talk about to others.  I have a borderline unhealthy love for cooking...and eating.  I am an amazing cook, and I do quite a bit of meal planning in order to keep up my little habit.  I indulge in small kitchen appliances simply because they make me crazy-happy.  My trusty slow cooker decided to die this week.  I suppose that makes it not so trusty, but I miss it already.  It died after cooking this amazing Mexican Style Pork.  I have mixed feelings about it conking out on me, but I do love buying new small appliances.



After shredding the pork roast with two forks, I served it over rice with a squeeze of lime juice.  It was amazing and quite simple to make.  Here's what I did...

You Will Need:
1 (2 lb.) FROZEN pork roast (any cut you like)
1 can of Rotel (any heat level you like)
1 large sweet onion, chopped or diced
1 green bell pepper cut into short strips
1 yellow bell pepper cut into short strips
1 big Tbsp of minced garlic (from a jar or fresh)
about 1/2 cup fresh minced cilantro
some salt
some pepper
blow it a kiss for extra love

Cook Time:
Toss the frozen pork with all of the ingredients on top of it.  Let it cook on high for 6 hours.  That is all.

If my roast had been fresh, not frozen, I probably would have cooked it for 6-8 hours on low instead of high.  You really can't go wrong.  Just cook it long enough so that it shreds when you try to pull it apart with two forks.

I cooked some plain rice to serve with the pork, but you could easily stick this shredded goodness in tortillas or serve over mashed potatoes.  It is very open ended, in terms of versatility.  It was also pretty tasty eating it straight off the cutting board.  :)  You might also be able to see from the picture that I served this with a salad and a skinny margarita!  (A must have for teachers on summer vacation!)

Do you plan meals for hectic school seasons?  I find meal planning especially helpful at the beginning of the year, anytime assessments/report cards are due, and the end of the year.  It is a life saver, and after losing 80 pounds in 2002 and keeping it off all this time, planning ahead is a huge part of my success in keeping my weight down and my health sparkly.



0 comments:

Post a Comment