HIT IT! Sight Word Preprimer Bean Bag Toss Game

Have you ever had one of those moments?  You know the one, right?  When you realize the laminator is broken!!!!  I am *pretty sure* this was the look on my face yesterday when I realized I had used the last remaining laminator pouches on a project earlier in the day.


It was just about then that light began to shine from above and angels began to sing.  The doorbell rang.  It was the UPS guy with my Amazon order, and it contained two more boxes of pouches.  Hallelujah!  At that moment, all was right in the world.

I was inspired by a Pinterest claimed to be connected to a free game, but I could not find the game at all.  So, like any neurotic person teacher would do, I sat down at the old computer and began creating a version of my own game.  I call it Hit It!.  It contains all 40 preprimer Dolch words.  I love that I used nothing but black ink when it came time to print.  I have an abundance of Astrobright card stock that I used to give each circle a pop of color.  Of course, I laminated each sheet of paper prior to cutting out the circles.  I stick to a general rule of thumb when it comes to laminating stuff for my classroom.  Anything little hands touch repeatedly year after year deserves lamination!  :)


 The game is rather simple.  Use the circles that contain the sight words your kiddos are focusing on at the moment.  Place a tape line on the floor to mark the "throw line".  (They do not pass that line when they toss the bean bag...great visual for them!)  Each child tosses the bean bag and hopefully it lands on a circle/word.  (If not, you can let them choose the word closest to wherever the bean bag lands.)  They spell AND read the word.  That circle goes into a tub or basket.  Now, it is the next person's turn to play.  I have found similar games to be useful as an individual activity or with a partner.  Any more than two kiddos creates WAY too much chaos for my liking.

Oh, and I used my Fiskars circle cutter set on 4" to cut around each circle.  This is such a handy teacher tool, friends!  It cuts circles up to 8".  I use it a lot to create all kinds of fun stuff for my classroom.  Anyway, set the dial to whatever size you need.  Do your best to center the gadget on your item.  Push down on the plunger in the middle of the cutter and turn the bottom part all the way around until you have come full circle.  (Click here to watch a how-to video.)

Close up shot to show you how I lined up the cutting blade just outside the black line of the circle.

Notice the Scotch tape on each corner of the paper?  It kept the paper from scooting as I cut.

It cuts through laminated card stock quite well.  It also comes with extra blades just in case you have a blow out.  It's pretty fabulous.  I love making engaging games for my students.  This center activity is SURE to be a huge hit next school year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment