Cricut Creations for the Classroom: Writing Area Banner

A few days ago, I wrote about my latest Target Dollar Spot finds.  One of the items I was most excited about was a pencil banner.  The banner is made of thin wood, and each little banner flag has been painted to look like a pencil.  I ended up buying two packs of banners because I knew write right away that I wanted to make a little somethin'-somethin' for my classroom...a sign for my writing area!

June 2016 Target Dollar Spot finds for the classroom!

I received a Cricut for Mother's Day and haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box until today!  I sat myself down at my desk and decided to watch a few youtube tutorials regarding how to use a Cricut, as I have no experience with these machines whatsoever.  Three hours later, I emerged from the abyss I call an office with this...

Tah-dah!!!!

I created the most adorable writing center banner EVER made.  {Tooting my own horn over here!}  My paranoid nature led me to first create the lettering with cardstock to ensure a great fit.  Paper is much less expensive of a screw up compared to the 12"x12" vinyl sheets.  I placed each paper letter on a pencil and decided it was perfect.  (See my temporary paper pieces in the image below.)  From there, I moved on to cutting my very first sheet of vinyl!  I used glossy, black, permanent vinyl for this project.


Paper letters first to ensure a great fit!

The trickiest part of this entire project was A) learning how to use the Cricut Design Space site to create the letters and B) finding the best approach to getting each letter from the backing to the banner pieces.  For the record, youtube taught me that clear Contact paper is the best way to tackle the job of application/transfer.  Because I am an early childhood teacher and think clear Contact is one of the best things ever invented ways to adhere labels to classroom shelves, I had a brand new roll in my closet.  :)

Here's a close up of the letter "w".

Now all I need to get back into my own classroom (once grad school is over) so I can hang this baby on the wall!

Do you have a Cricut and use it for classroom projects?  If so, I would love to hear about the items you have made.  My mind is full of ideas.  If I have hard flooring in my next classroom, I want to make numbered circles on the floor for lining up.  No more contact paper on the floor like I have done for so many years.  I feel as though my world changed forever (and for the better) when the Cricut entered my life.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea! I just left Target and had these pencils in my hand, but put them back because I couldn't think of a way to use them! Now I am headed back to Target! This will also give me a reason to pull out my Cricket which I have only used once! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea but cannot find this wooden pencil banner anywhere, even online. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Morrellirocks, I do not think they have them at Target any longer. Last I noticed, they felt pencil banners. That might be something to consider.

    ReplyDelete