Mrs. Wishy-Washy Sequence & Retell Activities

Teachers, one of my favorite and best selling teaching resources has received an upgrade!  My Mrs. Wishy-Washy story retelling cards, which happen to be inspired by Mrs. Wishy-Washy by Joy Cowley, now have activities and character crowns to match.

Click here to preview and purchase this packet.


Because I actually use the items I sell in my own classroom, I like to give my products a little face lift now and then; especially when I realize I have created another fabulous classroom tool that other teachers might love as much as I do.  This upgrade totally fits that mold.

I started off adding four character crowns for students to wear during story reenactments.  Why?  Because my students LOOOOOOVE these crowns, and they love acting out the story while wearing these them.  I wanted other teachers and students to have the benefit of using the crowns.  I typically wait until late in the year to introduce Mrs. Wishy-Washy to my pre-k class.  Part of the reason I wait so long is to protect my sanity {selfish!}.  Once kids are introduced to Mrs. Wishy-Washy, it is really challenging for them to let her go.  In other words, I have to deal with kids begging for all of the character crowns, books, and reenactment supplies loooooong after I have put it all away for the season.  As years went on, I decided to leave it all out for the remainder of the school year.  It certainly wasn't hurting anyone to leave the book on my classroom library shelf for an extended period of time.  At some point, I realized several of my non-verbal students were connecting with this book and reenactment activity when they really had not been motivated by much of anything all year.  Last school year, I literally watched one little girl go from non-verbal to verbal...while acting out the parts of Mrs. Wishy-Washy.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I had never heard her voice until she blurted out, "Just look at you!"  {It is a pretty magical book.}


I like to print the crowns on card stock and laminate them for durability.  A small piece
of Velcro makes the crown straps adjustable to fit a variety of noggins.

From there, I decided to add in a few sequence activities I have used the past few years.  Children love both activities.  The crown is awesome simply because, well, it's a crown.  I mean, who doesn't love a good crown?  Especially when it's a Mrs. Wishy-Washy inspired masterpiece to take home and show off.  The story retell necklace is a ton of fun to make.  Children color the pictures, cut them out, and string them with pony beads in between each sequence card.  The beads are optional, but they sure do make a difference in A) the weight of the necklace and B) keeping the sequence cards separated for story retelling.  I suppose they really do a great job of fancying up the necklace, as well.

I made each sequence activity in color and b/w.  You choose which will work best with your group of kiddos.

If you already own a set of my Mrs. Wishy-Washy inspired story sequence and retell cards, be sure to go into your Teachers Pay Teachers account (under the "my purchases" tab) and download the new packet so you can print your new sequence activities.  If you do not already own this packet, you can purchase one by clicking HERE.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment